El Haven’s primary purpose is to:
1. to save the lives of babies and
2. to spare the mothers the lifelong regret of abandoning or murdering their child. However there is much more that can be accomplished.
Implied in these two fundamentals are several others:
- to provide refuge and support and safety for young mothers facing the challenge of unwanted pregnancy
- to promote family unity rather than separation. The aim is to have the baby and mother accepted by the family.
- To promote attitudes of forgiveness and acceptance
- To provide security and hope for the future for both mother and baby
- To provide an industry whereby the girl can experience responsibility,learn life skills and earn an income
- To provide counselling to help the mother make better choices for she and her baby
- To find a loving and caring family for the child when circumstances prevent it being cared for by the birth mother/family.
- To provide an ongoing income for the refuge in the form of a 4 unit B&B.This will be stage 2 of El Haven and is an integral part of the whole concept.